Every Autumn I use the wonderful juicy autumnal tomatoes to make my own tomato paste, which I then freeze. The recipe comes from a book on life in Tuscany, which I have since lost track of. And rather than bottle it, I freeze it in small bits, ready to bring out and pop into any dish that needs it. It lasts all winter.
I usually store in individual small containers, but you could freeze in an icecube tray and then put the cubes into ziplock bags. The cubes will be ready for you to pop straight into the pan when required. Come to think of it, that would save a lot of space and I might do it that way this year.
Home Made Italian Tomato Paste
Source : from my old Food_Matters Site
Prep time: 60 mins
Cooking time: 90 – 120 mins
Serves: all winter
3 Tblspn olive oil
2 cups onion, finely chopped
4 – 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 – 2 red peppers, finely chopped
1 – 2 large carrots, finely chopped or grated
2 – 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 kg tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
Saute the onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and celery in the oil until the onions are soft and clear. Add teh tomatoes and simmer until thick, approx. 45 – 60 minutes. If you chop the ingredients finely enough it will not be necessary to do anything else. Otherwise, sieve them or blend with an immersion blender.
Divide into 2 – 4 Tblspn lots and freeze. Use during winter any time tomato paste is required, or when something needs a tomato hit eg soup, risotto, paella etc.
Read some more:
- The Yum Blog prepares tomato paste using only tomatoes, whenever they are cheap in Bangalore.
The How To Series
- Thick Thick Yoghurt - how to make
- Creme Fraiche - How to make
- Ghee Whiz - How to Make Ghee
- Katte Malai - How to make
- Sambar Powder - How to make
- Zahtar and Dukkah - How to make
- How to Cook Rice
- Risotto Basics 101
- Semolina Pasta – Making Eggless Pasta
- Chat Masala - How to make
- Dried Peppers / Capsicums - How to make
- Hot Masala! – How to make Garam Masala
- Roasted Garlic Oil - How to make
- Taking Stock - Making Great Vege Stocks