The weather is quite brisk now, cold on the face while hands are warm in gloves. Long walks, hot drinks, umbrellas, hats, scarves, wet grass, foggy breath, parrots, movies and baking. Winter is delicious.
- My post about eating from banana leaves in India remains one of my most popular posts. Aayi’s Recipes has a wonderful post full of photos and links to recipes, describing in great detail the Konkani (from Goa) thali, served directly onto banana leaves..
- Peppermill makes a very delicious Mixed Vegetable Kadhi, with a yoghurt gravy base. I love yoghurt based dishes.
- Asankhana makes some beautiful heart-shaped cranberry and paneer desserts from Bengal. Cranberry Sandesh.
- I have been playing around with organic oats and steel cut oats. So far, organic oats win, but my experiments continue. Lucullian Delights has a gorgeous oats and strawberry smoothy for your breakfast.
- Limes and Lycopene has a healthy oat based Fruit, Nut and Tahini Breakfast bar for food on the run.
Eating 5 Veggies plus 2 Fruits, some Lentils, Nuts and Coffee
- It is often so hard to fit all of the things you need to eat each day into your meals. Veggies, fruit, nuts, lentils, yoghurt, oats or muesli, ghee (I am vata), and so it goes. But these Greek Mushroom Cups from The Well Seasoned Cook look delicious.
- Insanity Theory has a happy hazelnut heaven where she bakes some hazelnut cookies garnished with ground coffee beans! No eggs….
- Cygopie makes a wonderful GARLIC and Tomato Soup. Stuffed full of garlic and smelling wonderful. And Passionate about Life’nSpice makes a Red Pepper Soup AND a Green Pepper Soup.
- Not soup weather were you are? Go for the Courgette and Feta Salad with toasted pinenuts, from My French Kitchen.
- Leek and Tomato Crumble. Another wonderful recipe from Nourish Me.
- You know that I am mad about chickpeas. Orangette has a so so delicious chickpea with lemon and parmesan salad. Then follows it up with Mushrooms with Mozzarella and Thyme.
- Fascinating! Just Hungry makes Goma Dofu - a Japanese tofu-like substance made from tahini.
- One way to eat more fruit it to make salsa. Noshtopia has made a cherry salsa to eat with sea salt rice crisps.
- For dessert, Eat Make Read brings ricotta and mint stuffed strawberries.[Updated with the correct link.] While was updating the link, I came across Take the Cannoli‘ version. Enjoy!
- To complete you meal, finish with some Sorbet made from Instant Expresso Coffee. From The Perfect Pantry. I have made sorbet and icecream from freshly brewed coffee too – just make it extra strong.
Hints and Tips.
- Make your own ginger paste and keep it frozen for later use. From The Cook’s Cottage. Or a chilli, garlic and ginger paste from Things we Ate for Dinner.
- One of the first posts I ever posted was about making eggless pasta. It has remained one of the most popular ones. Recently Helen from World Foodie Guide posted about her method. Have a look. The photos are gorgeous.
- Tony Tahhan takes us through the process of making yoghurt from goat’s milk, and then turning it into labne.
- Ever wondered how to cut down on your cleaning products bill? Go more environmentally conscious? Have a look at The Herbal Home Handbook for recreating your cleaning philosophy. Or see the Top Ten reasons to make your own cleaning spray, from Elana’s Pantry.
- Or if you are in the market for a new set of saucepans, here is how to select a cookware set. From Kim Vallee.