I love you in my freshly squeezed juices to add a touch of spiciness, but often have left you sitting abandoned in the bottom drawer of my fridge. No longer. I discovered a salad to make you shine! Summer goodness, oh yes.
See you in the salad bowl.
Daikon Radish (Mooli) Salad
Source : inspired by Vogue Entertaining 2000
Cuisine: In the style of Indian/SE Asian
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 3 mins
Serves: 4 – 6 people, depending how you use it
350g daikon (white radish)
1 medium red chilli
0.25 cups coconut (fresh or shredded)
1.5 tspn jaggery (palm sugar)
2 Tblspn good white wine vinegar
salt to taste
1 Tblspn extra virgin olive oil
1 Tblspn mustard seed oil
1 tspn nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 tspn cumin seeds
handful of coriander leaves
If using shredded or desiccated coconut, soak it in warm water for 5 minutes and then wring out as much water as you can.
Peel the daikon and slice very thinly, or cut into fine julienne strips. Chop the chilli finely.
Dissolve the palm sugar in the white wine vinegar.
Place the daikon, coconut and chilli in a bowl. Add the sugar and wine vinegar, and gently toss.
Heat the two oils in a small pan over medium heat. Add the nigella and cumin seeds and fry gently until the nigella seed begins to pop. Pour the hot oil and seeds immediately over the salad and toss gently.
Add the coriander, and serve. Enjoy!
More Cooking, Food and Recipes:
- Sliced Daikon (White Radishes/Mooli) with Golden Pumpkin: A Recipe (vegeyum.wordpress.com)
- Mooli Raita | Radish Pachadi Recipe (monsoonspice.com)
- Mooli Ka Achaar/ Mullangi Urugai (Indian Style Daikon Radish Pickles) (mydiversekitchen.com)
- Winter Radish Curry (promenadeplantings.wordpress.com)
- Radish (Mooli) Upkari (shobhavkamath.blogspot.com)
- Mooli Thepla (archanaskitchen.com)
- Mooli ki chutney (enjoyindianfood.blogspot.com)
- Daikon and Carrot Pickles (roybelle.wordpress.com)