Strange weather this winter, with most capital cities in Australia breaking records for the warmest July. Now, heading into August, we are experiencing some days that are quite spring-like, sans the leaves on the trees and the blossoms and other flowers that generally announce spring.
In other parts of the world, summer is in heading into Autumn and either experiencing very hot weather or Autumnal weather already.
But where ever we are, we need good food.
Some inspiration for you, no matter which hemisphere you are in.
August Offerings – Winter fare for the Southern Hemisphere
It seems that I never cook very much in August! Oops. Here are the megre offerings for a Southern Hemisphere Winter. BUT look into the Summer offerings too – there are some that are Ok for winter, such as dals, eggplant curries, kitchadi and sambars.
- Balinese Coconut Rice
- Daikon Radish with Golden Pumpkin Salad
- Dal Makhani Nilgiri
- Ginger-Garlic Paste
- Kadhi – Yoghurt Curry
- Makhana Palak - Lotus Seeds in Spinach Gravy
- Peppered Rice
- Pudla and Crispy Battered Onion Rings
August Offerings – Summer fare for the Northern Hemisphere
Lots of things to choose from.
- Aloo Baingan Wadi Ki Subzi (Tomato, Eggplant and Potato Subzi with Wadi)
- Chickpeas with Ginger Root Salad
- Eggplant with Sesame and Soy
- Golden Gentle Dal
- ISKON Easy Mung Dal
- More on Cooking Sambar – Hot, Salty or Sour?
- Mung Bean Flour Mini Dosa
- On Cooking Vegetables for Sambar
- On the Making of Sambar Powder
- Steamed Buttery Kitchadi
- Steamy Buttery Rice
- Sweet Mung Dal Kitchadi
- Tender Eggplant
- Tomato and Chilli Jam
- Ven Pongal
- Watermelon with Haloumi