I do recommend this soup. The roasting highlights the flavours, and it is a great soup for Autumn and Winter.
Spicy Roasted Carrot and Apple Soup
Adapted from: The Soup Bible
Prep time: 7 mins plus 20 – 30 mins roasting time
Cooking time: 25-30 mins
Serves: 5-6 depending how you use it
1 Tblspn mild curry powder (or to taste)
500g carrots, chopped into chunks
1 large onion, cut into 4 – 6 pieces
1 cooking apple, cut into 6 pieces
3 cups good vegetable stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
natural yogurt and/or parsley to garnish
Place the onion, carrots and apple pieces into a baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in a 200C oven for 25 – 30 mins or until cooked and beginning to caramelise.
Heat about 1 Tblspn olive oil in a pan and gently toast the curry powder for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables and stir well until coated with the curry powder. Cover the pan and allow to cook for 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
Add half the stock, and puree in a blender. Return to a pan and pour in the remaining stock. Bring back to the boil and adjust the seasoning before serving in bowls. Garnish with yoghurt, chopped parsley and/or a few curls of raw carrot.
- Add a chilli or two to the roasting pan for more spicy flavour
- Use a rasam or sambar powder if you have it at home, instead of the curry powder
- A pinch or two of coriander powder would go well with this soup
- Garnish with green coriander
From the Soup Series
- Kitchen Bench Green Mung Dal Soup with Amaranth Greens
- Madhur Jaffrey’s Cream of Tomato Soup
- Most Heavenly Corn Soup
- Pea Soup, Zuppa Piselli
- Pumpkin and Red Pepper Soup
- Masala Mung Wadi – Golden Lentil Drops in a Tomato Garlic Sauce
- Mung Dal, Jaffna Style
- Roasted Carrot and Garlic Soup, for a cold night.
- Saar/Rasam from Goa in India
- Miso Soup and a Salad
- Green Mung Bean Soup: Pachai Payaru
- Light Summery Tomato Soup