Deep Fried tofu can either be store-bought in packets, or made at home.
Versatile Deep Fried Tofu is available from any Asian or Chinese Grocery, where it might be called Tofu Puffs, or Fried Tofu Squares. As the name suggests, it is a tofu that has been deep fried. It is quite firm in texture and therefore is easy to slice and dice, to include in wet dishes, or simply serve as it is. It is definitely a delicious way of using tofu.
An alternative is to deep fry your own tofu. The texture and taste is quite different to store-bought deep fried tofu, and is worth the effort involved. See below for instructions on how to deep fry your own tofu.
All of our Tofu recipes are here and here. You might like to browse our Asian recipes here and here, the Chinese recipes here and here or our tempting Snacks here and here. Or simply explore our easy Mid Summer dishes.
You might also like to try tofu dishes without deep frying. Try Two Marvellous Tofu Recipes (Tofu Napoleons, and Tri Coloured Stuffed Tofu), Marinated Tofu with Sweet Peach Salsa, Cucumber and Tofu Salad, Tofu, Herb and Sesame Salad, and a dipping broth for tofu.
How to Use Store-Bought Deep Fried Tofu
- For a quick snack, pan fry without any additional oil. Sprinkle with Sea Salt (preferable Celtic Sea Salt) and black or white pepper
- You can eat them as they are, they are quite delicious
- Or top them with grated carrot and daikon, and some bean sprouts
- Eat with a dipping sauce
- Use in place of meat in Thai recipes
- Use it in a curry with a spicy sauce
- Slice them and use in stirfries, to top soups, to fill salad or vegetarian rolls
- Slice and use in salads
- Toss with some sugar, mirin, shoyu in a pot with the fried tofu squares, and cook until the sauce is absorbed. Cool and then cut them open and stuff with cooked sushi rice
How to Deep Fry your own Tofu
To deep fry tofu, you will need a block of very firm tofu. Optionally press it for an hour with a weight on top, to remove excess moisture. Cut the tofu into cubes about 2.5 – 3 cm, or cut into triangles. Using paper kitchen towel, pat each square to ensure that it is dry. Deep fry 3 or 4 squares at a time, until golden and crisped on the outside. Drain well on kitchen towel.
Recipes and Suggestions for Using for Home Made Deep Fried Tofu
- Simply sprinkle with Sea Salt and black or white pepper.
- Serve with some Sweet Chilli Sauce as a dipping sauce
- Make Black Pepper Tofu, an exquisite dish from Ottolenghi
- Toa Hou Hod is Deep Fried Tofu with a Sweet Peanut Sauce, a Thai dish full of flavour
- If you like Japanese flavours, try Kitsu Udon – Udon Noodles with Deep Fried Tofu
- Or try this more Mediterranean dish – Mediterranean Barley with Crispy Tofu, Olives, Sundried Tomatoes and Capers (to be published July 2017)