I have been loving raw beetroot salad recently. Grab a young beetroot and a carrot. Grate both. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. You can add some ginger if you want. It is wonderful, wonderfully healthy and very “eliminating” too, if you know what I mean.
Beetroot can be quite juicy. And the juice can stain.
- Firstly, DON’T wear white and DO wear an apron if you have one.
- Secondly, wash your chopping board immediately after grating the beet or cooking the dish, so that it does not stain.
- To remove any remaining stain on a wooden chopping board, cut a lemon in half, sprinkle the stain with some salt, and rub with the cut half of the lemon.
- Also, just squeezing some lemon juice onto the stain and leaving for half an hour will get rid of the stain.
I have a lot of fun in the kitchen with colours! I can’t wait to make a dish with beetroot, pomegranate and fresh tumeric. :-)
Beetroot and Carrot Raw Salad
6 – 8 young small beetroot (red beet), grated into matchstick-like pieces
3 – 4 carrots, grated into matchstick-like pieces (optional)
1 Tblspn Ghee
1 tspn black mustard seeds
1 tspn urad dal (white, not black)
1 tspn cumin seeds
0.5 tspn asafetida
1 green chilli, or to suit your taste, chopped
juice of 0.5 lemon
green coriander (cilantro), chopped
Heat the ghee in a frying pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal. Allow the mustard seeds to pop. As the popping begins to subside, add the asafetida, chillies, cumin seed and curry leaves.
After 30 seconds or so, add the shredded beetroot, carrot and lemon juice. Stir to mix through the spices and ghee. Cover and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. The dish should be very raw still, little more than warmed through.
Add salt to taste, and mix through the coriander. Serve in a lovely serving dish that shows off the colour of this wonderful salad.
If you want, you can add a little shredded coconut.
Read Some More
- For those readers who prefer their beetroot cooked, What’s for Lunch has a Very WONDERFUL Baked Beetroot with Apple and Horseradish Dip. She also has an amazing array of facts about the goodness of beetroot.
- Or how about Beetroot Bread??? from Fiodizucca.