I am still very enticed by the thick thick yoghurt and its flexibility. It is quite entrancing, the uses that it can be put to. Do you have a favourite use? I would love to hear it.
Haydari is a thick dip and spread made from strained yoghurt which is called suzme in Turkish. It is very much like the Middle Eastern labne. Spread it on toast or flat breads, or serve with salads or chargrilled vegetables and tofu.
Source : inspired by Turquoise
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 0 mins
Serves: 4 – 6 people, depending how you use it
500g thick yoghurt (strained yoghurt, or use a thick Greek yoghurt)
1 clove garlic
1 tspn salt
0.5 cup finely chopped dill
1 long green chilli, seeded and shredded
sweet paprika to serve
extra virgin olive oil to serve
In a large bowl, add the crushed garlic and salt to the yoghurt and then beat in the dill and chilli.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Chill covered until ready to eat. Garnish with a sprinkle of sweet paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.
People are Saying:
Turkish Haydari – recipe
The other day I came across this yummy-looking recipe on A Life (Time) of Cooking, so I thought I’d give it a try. It was fabulous! We all loved it, and my son (who is almost 1.5 years old) was trying to drink it out of the bowl.
Middle Eastern Series
- Baked Chickpeas
- Cheat’s Hummus – Hummus made from a can of chickpeas or butter beans
- Creamy Pearl Hummus Salad
- Cucumber Salad with Sesame
- Semi Dried Tomatoes with Pomegranate
- Spicy Rustic Red Lentil Soup with Thick Thick Yoghurt
- Thick Thick Yoghurt – how to make
- Zahtar and Dukkah
- Watermelon with Haloumi
Ways with Yoghurt:
- How to make thick thick yoghurt/yoghurt cheese.
- I finally made a Blueberry Shrikhand. It is hard to beat.
- Use thick thick yoghurt with all sorts of fruits and other toppings.
- A huge dollop of thick thick yoghurt on top of winter soups, like this spicy red lentil soup.
- Yoghurt Curry
- Thick Yoghurt Tahina Dip with Herbs
- Yoghurt and Rosepetals
- Cacik: Turkish cucumber and Yoghurt Mezze
- Tender Eggplant with yoghurt
- Yoghurt, Feta and Mustard Dip