I love my yoghurt thick. I mean very thick.
It is quite easy to make, and the final thickness is up to you. To make thick thick yoghurt, simply drain yoghurt through muslin cloth, in the fridge, perhaps with a weight on top, until the consistency that you require is reached. I often leave it to drain overnight. You can see it in more detail here: Making Thick Thick Yoghurt.
Thick yoghurt is easy to use – great dollops on your porridge in the morning, spread on toast and jam instead of cream, mixed with fruit or making Shrikhand. It can be used to make dips, such as Haydari, or delicious curries.
Or try my Yoghurt Tahina Dip with herbs. You might like to eat it with Oatmeal Crackers, or perhaps, just by the spoonful.
Thick Yoghurt Tahina Dip with Herbs
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 0 mins
Serves: 4 – 6 people, depending how you use it
1/2 cup thick thick yoghurt
1/4 cup tahini
large squeeze lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic, chopped finely
3 or 4 Tblspns (or more) chopped herbs, including parsley and mint. You can add also chives, basil etc.
extra virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper
2 Tblspn walnuts
Finely chop the garlic and the herbs. You can do this in the food processor.
Crush the walnuts into small chunks.
Mix the yoghurt and tahini, beating it until it is well combined. Add the lemon juice and mix in. Beat in olive oil until the mixture is a thick dip consistency. You can add a little water too, if needed.
Stir in the walnuts, garlic and herbs. Season with a little salt to taste and black pepper. Allow it to sit for 30 mins to allow the flavours to blend.
Serve with a drizzle of oil over the top and a few of the walnuts. Enjoy!
Ways with Yoghurt:
- How to make thick thick yoghurt/yoghurt cheese.
- I finally made a Blueberry Shrikhand. It is hard to beat.
- Use thick thick yoghurt with all sorts of fruits and other toppings.
- A huge dollop of thick thick yoghurt on top of winter soups, like this spicy red lentil soup.
- Yoghurt Curry
- Thick Yoghurt Tahina Dip with Herbs
- Yoghurt and Rosepetals
- Cacik: Turkish cucumber and Yoghurt Mezze
- Tender Eggplant with yoghurt
- Yoghurt, Feta and Mustard Dip
More Cooking, Food and Recipes:
- January 23rd 2012: Lots of Cooking, Food, Recipes in The Kitchen (ganga108.wordpress.com)
- Beetroot Salad with Yoghurt (turkishkitchenmelbourne.blogspot.com)
- Using Chickpea Flour. Pudla and Crispy Battered Onion Rings. Two Recipes (vegeyum.wordpress.com)
- Spiced Cauliflower Fritters with Lemon Coriander Yoghurt Sauce (foodblogandthedog.wordpress.com)