What a fantastic week it has been! If you have been following my other blog Heat in the Kitchen, you will know that a Yoga Intensive was the focus of this week, bringing with it learnings and insights that had nothing to do with the asanas themselves. And an awareness of how my continuous Surya Namaskaras impact the hips!
There are some exciting things happening at work, the weather is very slowly warming, the days are longer, the birds louder and all is green. What could be better in life?
Well, a big batch of curry, always. This week, Daikon radish with Pumpkin. Enjoy. [Update: @ThaalamFMLive let me know that in her family, potatoes are used instead of Daikon. That also sounds very very good.]
Sliced Daikon (White Radish) with Golden Pumpkin.
Source : adapted from Lord Krishna’s Cuisine
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 – 6 people, depending how you use it
4 Tblspn Ghee
1 tspn minced or finely shredded fresh ginger
1 tspn cumin seeds
1 tspn black mustard seeds
0.5 tspn fenugreek seeds
8 curry leaves
large pinch asafoetida powder
340g thickly sliced (6mm/0.5 in) daikon (white radish)
700g butternut pumpkin or other yellow pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm cubes
0.5 cup fresh or frozen peas
0.25 tspn cayenne pepper or paprika
1 tspn turmeric powder
2 tspns coriander powder
0.25 cup water
0.5 tspn amchur/amchoor powder (dried mango powder) or 2 Tblspn lemon juice
1 tspn salt
3 Tblspn coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) or finely chopped parsley
Heat the ghee in a large saucepan over a moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the ginger, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Fry until the fenugreek darkens to a golden red.
Drop in the curry leaves and asafoetida — be careful, the curry leaves will splatter if they are fresh. In seconds, add the radishes and saute until they begin to brown. Then stir in the pumpkin, peas, cayenne or paprika, turmeric, coriander powder and water.
Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until the pumpkin is fork-tender (20 – 30 mins). A few minutes before serving, add the amchur powder or lemon juice, salt, fresh herbs and peas.
Serve with rice.
The Pumpkin Series
The Daikon Series
More Cooking, Food and Recipes:
- Sliced Daikon (White Radishes/Mooli) with Golden Pumpkin: A Recipe (vegeyum.wordpress.com)
- Mooli Raita | Radish Pachadi Recipe (monsoonspice.com)
- Radish Curry
- Mooli ki chutney (enjoyindianfood.blogspot.com)
- Radish (Mooli) Upkari (shobhavkamath.blogspot.com)
- Mooli Ka Achaar/ Mullangi Urugai (Indian Style Daikon Radish Pickles) (mydiversekitchen.com)
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup With Sri Lankan Spices (geethaskitchen.com)
- Kembude Kai Bendhi | Pumpkin and Cashews in Coconut Gravy Recipe (monsoonspice.com)
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup with flavours of Lemongrass and Ginger (saffrontrail.blogspot.com)