We complain about the cold, and long for light and heat again. We pray for rain yet look longingly at the sky for signs of the sun. Umbrellas are standard equipment now, as are gloves, and sometimes beanies.
Enjoy some Indian Heat Inspiration for Mid Winter. You can also browse Soup Recipes for Mid Winter; Wintery Salads, Vegetables, BBQs, Dips and Preserves; Indian Deliciousness; Goodies, Grains, Lentils and More; Drinks and Sweets; and Tips and Hints for Cooking in Mid Winter.
Please let us know if you find links that are not working. We would love to fix them for you.
Indian Deliciousness for Mid Winter Spice
Kuzhambu and Sambar
- Arai Puli Kuzhambu (Mildly Sour “Soup”): A Wet and Tangy Vegetable Curry with Eggplant and Potato
- Orange, Lemon or Lime Kuzhambu
- Plain Kuzhambu (Kottu Kuzhambu): A South Indian Vegetable Wet Curry
- Green Chilli Kuzhambu
- Simple Seasoned Kuzhambu
- Race Kuzhambu: Anjara Petti Kuzhambu
- The Difference Between Rasam and Sambar
Beans and Indian Broad Beans
Lentils and Seeds
Dal Makhani Style Dishes
- Whole Unhulled Urad and Rajma Dal
- Mah di Dal – Kali Dal
- Dal Makhani
- Indian Bazaar Dal Makhani
- Three Recipes for Dal Makhani
Mixed Rice Dishes
Kitchari and Bisibelebhath
Flatbread and Dosa
- Sakkarai Pongal | Sweet Pongal from Jaffna
- Two Payasams – Indian Vermicelli and Sago
- Beetroot Halwa
- Porridge, Indian Style
Tips and Information
- How to Convert Australian, Indian, English and US Cup and Spoon Measures
- How to Make Garam Masala
- How to Make Ghee
- How to Make My Kitchen Bench Spice Mix | Kitchen Podi
- Coconuts, Young and Old, Cream, Milk and Water, Desiccated, Grated and Fresh
- Cumin Seeds – Black and Brown
- Green Mangoes and Green Mango Powder (Amchur)
- Halva | Halwa | A Sweet of India and the Middle East, Lebanon and Greece
- Indian Flatbreads – Are Dosa Pancakes or Flatbread?
- Kerala Rosamatta Rice | Palakkadan Matta | Puzhukkalari or Chambaavari
- Lemons and Limes in Indian recipes
- Panch Phoron
- Roti Flatbread
- What is “Race” in Race Kuzhambu?
- What is the Difference Between Different Bayleaves? | European, Indian, Indonesian and West Indian
- What is the Difference Between Rasam and Sambar
- What is the difference between Sambar, Kuzhambu and Kootu?
- What is Indian and Asian Palm Sugar? What is Chinese Rock Sugar?
- What is a Tadka? | How to Fry Spices in a Takda | Indian Spice Tempering