Help in the Kitchen for Mid Winter with tips and hints for cooking this season’s foods.
Enjoy some Sweet Things and Chai Inspiration for Mid Winter. You can also browse Soup Recipes for Mid Winter; Wintery Salads, Vegetables, BBQs, Dips and Preserves; Indian Deliciousness; Goodies, Grains, Lentils and More; Drinks and Sweets; and Tips and Hints for Cooking in Mid Winter.
Please let us know if you find links that are not working. We would love to fix them for you.
Tips and Hints for Mid Winter Cooking
- Balinese Spice Paste
- Balinese Fried Shallots – Bawang Gorent
- Coconuts, Young and Old, Cream, Milk and Water, Desiccated, Grated and Fresh
- Common Equipment in a South Indian Kitchen
- Common Indian Ingredients and Techniques
- Cumin Seeds – Black and Brown
- Daikon Radish | Mooli | Japanese Radish | Chinese Turnip
- Different Rices
- Fermented Black Beans
- Garam Masala
- Ginger Root
- Green Mangoes and Green Mango Powder (Amchur)
- Halva | Halwa | A Sweet of India and the Middle East, Lebanon and Greece
- Indian Flatbreads – Are Dosa Pancakes or Flatbread?
- Lemons and Limes in Indian recipes
- Mirin | Japanese Sweet Golden Rice Wine
- Okra – Lady’s Fingers
- Panch Phoron
- Roti Flatbread
- Salted, Pickled Lemons and Limes
- Seaweed in the Kitchen
- Shaoxing Wine | Shao Hsing | Aged Chinese Rice Wine
- Stilton Cheese
- Szechwan (Sichuan) Peppercorns | Fagara | Chinese Pepper
- Turmeric, the Wonder Spice
- What is “Race” in Race Kuzhambu?
- What is the Difference Between Different Bayleaves? | European, Indian, Indonesian and West Indian
- What is the Difference Between Rasam and Sambar?
- What is the difference between Sambar, Kuzhambu and Kootu?
- What is a Tadka? | How to Fry Spices in a Takda | Indian Spice Tempering
- What is Indian and Asian Palm Sugar? What is Chinese Rock Sugar?
- What’s in Your Flour??
- How to Make Congee
- How to Make Creme Fraiche
- How to Make Crumpets
- How to Make French Mashed Potatoes
- How to Make English Mashed Potatoes
- How to Make Garam Masala
- How to Make Ghee
- How to Make Herbed Crackers
- How to Make Home Made Tomato Paste
- How to Make Onion Marmalade
- How to Make Panch Phoron
- How to Make Potato Gratin with Cream
- How to Make Quince Paste
- How to Make Risotto
- How to Make Salted, Pickled Lemons and Limes
- How to Make Great Vegetable Stocks
- How to Make My Kitchen Bench Spice Mix | Kitchen Podi
- How to Make Perfect Roast Potatoes
- How to Roast Beetroot
- How to Use a Girdle (aka Griddle) – Can do this on the BBQ
- How to Use Olive Oil
- How to Use Up Spinach Stalks