Chai – a sweet, milky black tea with spices – begins the day for many Indian households. The spices and herbs added to the tea adds flavour but an oft-ignored benefit is that it also increases medicinal benefits. The daily supplement – better than popping a pill.
From Chai Masala, to a simple Chai with Ginger, the variations are endless. Here are some common ones to experiment with.
Because of the health giving properties of turmeric, we recommend adding a little turmeric to each cuppa chai that you make – about a pinch per cup.
To Make Chai
Grind your spices.
Bring 2 cups water to the boil and add 1 – 2 tspns spice mix. Allow the spices to simmer for 3 – 4 minutes. Add 1 – 2 tea bags and again let it simmer for 5 – 6 minutes.
Now add 1 Tblspn jaggery or brown sugar (or according to taste) and stir to dissolve and simmer for a minute. Then add 1 cup milk and simmer on low for another 3 – 4 minutes.
Remove the teabags, strain through a sieve, and serve with some biscuits.
There are many recipes for making chai, but chai should always be very milky and very sweet. Use jaggery, palm sugar or brown sugar to sweeten. We have a few recipes here on our site, so feel free to check these out:
- Garam Chai or Chai Masala
- Cutting Chai
- Peppery Chai
- Yogi Chai
- Heavenly Chai
- Ashram Chai
- Cardamom Chai
- Tulsi and Mint Chai with Cinnamon
- Chai Masala for Relief of Colds
- Golden Saffron Spiced Tea
and there are many more – see all of our Chai recipes here.
Other Spice Combinations for Chai
Other spice combinations play with the common spices that are used and present them in different combinations. These are very good:
- Ginger and Cardamom
- Ginger, Cardamom and Cloves
- Ginger, Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Tulsi leaves
- Ginger, Cardamom, Fresh Ginger, Star Anise, cinnamon, cloves, grated orange zest
- Fennel, Cardamom and Coriander
- Fennel, Cardamom, Coriander, Ginger and Mint
- Fennel, Cardamom, Coriander, Cinnamon, Ginger and Mint
- Cumin, Coriander and Fennel
- Ginger, Cinnamon and Cloves
- Ginger, Cumin and Coriander
- Mint and Tulsi
- Ginger, Mint and Tulsi
- Ginger and Tulsi
- Ginger and Mint
- Ginger and Lemongrass
- A little Black Pepper with Ginger
Add any 1 or more of the following to your spice mix. These are more unusual additions.
- Ajwain, Nutmeg, Cinnamon
- Dill Seed
- Cayenne Pepper, Black pepper
- Fresh Coriander leaves, Curry Leaves, Dried Rose Petals
- Turmeric Powder, Fenugreek Seed
- Liquorice Root, Star Anise
Enjoy! Make Chai and Relax.