HEAT IN THE KITCHEN
Our sister site, Heat in the Kitchen, is a new blog, tracking the daily activity in The Kitchen, in between other daily commitments. It celebrates low cost eating that is healthy and flavoursome. Just what does it cost to eat? Come join me on this adventure!
ALSO, Read our daily collection of recipes and articles designed to inspire your time in the kitchen. Heat in the Kitchen is aggregated from around the internet and published daily. Get your copy now!
Follow us on Twitter
Most POPULAR Reads
Most LIKED Posts
RECENTLY IN THE KITCHEN:
- Monday Morning Vegetarian Inspiration : Cheesey Love
- Seasonal Cooking for Late Winter For our Northern Friends
- Seasonal Cooking for Late Summer
- Cooking Last Month (January) – Did you Catch Them All?
- The Indexes have been updated for February!
- Cooking for Really Really Hot Weather: Courgettes a la Grecque – Zucchini stewed in oil. A Rustic, Cold dish.
- Spices: A Note on Mustard Seeds (Black, Brown and Yellow) and Mustard Oil. From The Archives.
- Spices: A Note on Saffron. From The Archives.
- April 1999 and May 2002. Beetroot Risotto, Two Ways. From The Archives.
- Ingredients: A Note on Dried Chinese Mushrooms – Cloud Ear and Shiitake. From The Archives.
- Ingredients: A Note on Porcini Mushrooms. From The Archives.
- Nilgiri’s Carrot Pachadi. A Recipe from The Archives. April, 2001.
SEASONAL COOKING IN THE KITCHEN…
Recently: Seasonal Cooking for Late Winter
Recently: Seasonal Cooking for Late Summer
Recently: Cooking for Hot Weather – Zukes in Oil
Recently: Cooking for Hot Weather – Cauli cooked in Oil with Lime and Spices
Recently: Asparagus in Pastry with Cream and Cheese
Recently: Cooking for Hot Weather – Borlotti Bean Chaat
LATE SUMMER IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE….
Mid Summer Cooking: Tender Baked Capsicums
Mid Summer Cooking: Ottolenghi Beetroot, Olive and Orange Salad
Mid Summer Cooking: Cacik – Turkish Cucumber and Yoghurt Mezze
Mid Summer Cooking: Creme Fraiche Icecream
MID WINTER IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE…
Mid Winter Cooking: Eggplant and Potato Curry (Kuzhambu)
Mid Winter Cooking: Besan Pasta (Eggless)
Mid Winter Cooking: Caramelised Roasted Pumpkin Risotto
Mid Winter Cooking: A Beautiful Pumpkin Soup
Category Archives: Vegan
A pack of King Oyster Mushrooms have been sitting in my fridge awaiting attention so very patiently. I decided to slice these giant beauties, then marinate them before cooking in a heavenly caramelisation of the marinade. Continue reading
I come from a family where both my mother and grandmother (and many before her, no doubt) “put up” vegetables and fruits in Spring, Summer and Autumn for consumption in later parts of the years. I still remember those bottled beans and cucumbers, and those sweet sugary grapes that my grandmother used to make. But now — it is the time for mangoes! Continue reading
It is a special and easy thing to make Kimchi – soaking the vegetables in brine, then mixing them with chilli, garlic, ginger and onion, adding a sweetner to feed the fermentation and add complexity to the flavour. The final result is a tart, salty, hot pickle with a hint of sweetness that can be eaten on its own, mixed in to dishes. Continue reading